| This cup mysteriously arrived at our club with no clue as to who had sent it | ![]() |
How did it get to us?
This Cup arrived at Buxton Town Hall in July 2024. According to the Post Office stickers on the packaging the original delivery address was to: Bill Robinson, Sunrise Cottage, Greaves Lane, Ashford in the Water, Bakewell, DE45 1QH.
The date of first attempted delivery 4/12/23. A sticker dated 4/01/24 states “not called for”. It eventually arrived at Buxton Town Hall with no accompanying paperwork and was collected by a Member of Buxton Croquet Club.
Buxton Historical Society research has been amazing and they have discovered;
The Hallmark: Sheffield 1910. James Deakin and Sons. They stopped using the Mark JD/WD in 1932
Court Heath: This was a large Villa with a Croquet Lawn attached on land opposite to now, Tesco.
First phase: This was lived in by Frank Drewry, the Duke of Devonshire’s agent: Census records 1881,1891 employing a Cook/Servant, Nurse and Servant, 1911.
Second phase: In 1954 it became Coopers Corset Factory later advertised as The Court Heath
Factory. This closed down in the 1991.
Third phase and was replaced by housing and is now called Wyedale Close.
Frank Drewry: took up residence in an Estate House known as Court
Heath in 1881. He and his wife were very active in the Community and held
Social functions including Charity Sales and Empire Day Celebrations at Court
Heath.
The Cup:
Extract from the Buxton Advertiser Sept 1912:
For the Autumn Croquet Tournament commencing on the 2nd September Mr F Drewry offered a handsome Cup to be known as the Court Heath Cup (value £10) for which there were 22 entries.
NB. The Croquet Tournaments were held in the Pavilion Gardens


